Religious freedom has won a massive, unexpected victory nationwide.
Quite frankly, politicians, media and Christian leaders across the nation are stunned…
All eyes have been watching the progress of AB 2943 – the so-called “Ban the Bible” legislation created by the California state legislature to be a model for the nation.
The LGBT caucus-sponsored bill successfully passed the leadership in the California Assembly and state Senate.
It needed a final Assembly vote before being sent to Governor Brown for his signature.
Progressives and conservatives, pros and cons, all believed it would pass.
But it didn’t.
It was withdrawn by the author of the bill on the last day of the legislative session before the fall recess.
Here are the 4 things you should know.
- AB 2943 was a radical bill.
It would have opened the door to fines and lawsuits against those who believe in Biblical marriage. It would have banned paid counseling or the sale of material dealing with sexual orientation or gender confusion – labeling these activities as fraudulent business practices. This could have included Christian books, including the Bible.
- The bill was anti-free speech, anti-religious freedom, anti-free choice.
It was intolerant, forcing Christians not to charge a fee for teaching Biblical truths … and discriminating against people freely seeking help.
- The bill – and its authors and sponsors – denied the fact that Christ does set people free from unwanted same-sex attraction and gender confusion.
Despite hearing the testimonies – during the legislative hearings on AB 2943 – of many people who have been set free from unwanted same-sex attraction, the advocates of the bill rejected those testimonies and insisted that sexual orientation change efforts are ineffective – and in effect, fraudulent.
- In the end, the love of Christ prevailed.
Assemblyman Evan Low – member of the LGBTQIA legislative caucus and author of AB 2943 – mysteriously and surprisingly withdrew the bill from a vote on the last day of the legislative session.
He says it was because he talked to religious leaders.
If that’s the real reason, great.
But here’s what actually happened:
- Thousands of calls and emails against the bill flooded the assembly floor. Each assembly member had hundreds, some close to 1,000 calls from Reality Alert and Huey Report subscribers … plus calls from other organizations.
- The pressure of Christians rose up. The sleeping church that never cares became surprisingly active.
- Even in ‘Safe’ districts, uncertainty is not good for a politician. It’s better not to have a vote than to have an unexpected turnaround.
- The gospel was powerfully spread. The politicians all heard the good news of Jesus Christ. The powerful testimonies of former lesbians and gays were powerful.
I’m reminded of the passage in 2 Corinthians 5:14-21 … which begins with the words “For the love of Christ controls us…” and includes the verse, “Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come.”
Watch this video of the powerful testimonies of former gays and lesbians transformed by the love of Christ (11 minutes): https://vimeo.com/268873541
Thank you to all who signed our petition – well over 15,000. It was short of our goal, but it was a powerful force.
Your efforts put fear and concern into the political elite. I encourage everyone with love and grace to thank Evan Low for abandoning AB2943 and protecting religious liberty.
I believe this is just a taste of not just the church awakening, but revival coming.
Wouldn’t it be great for revival start in California … and spread nationwide?
What do you think? Write me at firstname.lastname@example.org