Christians continue to be one of the most persecuted religious groups in the world…
They risk imprisonment, loss of home and assets, torture, rape and violent death because of their faith.
Open Doors USA publishes the Open Doors World Watch List – an annual ranking of the 50 countries where Christians face the most severe persecution.
Here are the top 10 nations where Christians found it most dangerous to practice their faith in 2017:
- North Korea
North Korea is number 1 on the list for the 16th consecutive year…
More than 50,000 Christians in North Korea are in prison or labor camps.
Kim Jong-un controls every aspect of life in the country and demands worship of his family.
Within the 50 countries on the Watch List, 215 million Christians experience high, very high or extreme persecution.
Countries in Africa, Asia and the Middle East are intensifying persecution – especially of women, who often face persecution for both faith and gender.
Every day at least 6 women – because of their Christian faith – are raped, sexually harassed or forced into marriage to a Muslim under threat of death.
But this is only the tip of the iceberg because it only includes those who had the courage to report an incident.
Here are some other trends that are affecting the persecution of Christians:
- 30 of the 50 countries saw an increase in persecution in 2017.
- 22 of the 50 countries are in Asia.
- Persecution increased the most in Egypt, India, Libya, Kazakhstan, Tajikistan and Turkey.
- One in every 12 Christians in the world lives in a country or in a culture in which Christianity is illegal, forbidden, or punished.
- Pakistan inflicted the most violence against Christians.
- Islamic extremism remains the most dominant driver of persecution … responsible for initiating oppression and conflict in 35 of the 50 countries.
- Hindu persecution of Christians in India and Nepal is reaching a horrific crisis stage.
Just last week in the Shanxi province in northern China, the Golden Lampstand Church was destroyed by China’s military police.
They detonated explosives they had planted in underground fellowship halls beneath the church.
The church leaders have been repeatedly beaten and imprisoned ever since the church was built in 2009.
China was number 43 in persecution of Christians last year.
Please pray for Christians worldwide who are experiencing persecution, physical torture and death because of their faith…
And sign the petition below to save Christians from genocide in the Middle East.
And please also sign the petition to help stop the persecution of Christians in India: https://www.electionforum.org/stop-persecution-of-christians-in-india/
What do you think? Write me at firstname.lastname@example.org