It’s hard to believe that Shelly and I were near Donald Trump as he was sworn in as President of the United States…
A lot has happened in one year since then…
There may be lots of things to complain about … and the media is doing a good job reminding us of this daily.
But there is also a lot to be thankful for.
Here are just 15 accomplishments that have stood out since the inauguration of President Trump:
- Confirmation of great federal judges who are not legislating from the bench – and the confirmation of Neil Gorsuch to the Supreme Court.
Out of 85 federal judges nominated – not counting the Supreme Court – 28 have been confirmed so far … that’s 33%.
Obstruction of Trump’s judicial appointments and nominations makes the confirmation process slow.
In contrast, the Senate confirmed nearly 70% of Obama’s nominations during the same time period in his first term.
- Pro-abortion policies halted.
The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) redefined life as beginning at conception, and the Trump administration cut funding to UN abortion promotion agencies.
- Trump cut U.S. funding to the United Nations Population Fund because it participates in China’s forced abortion policies.
- He reinstated the Mexico City policy which denies aid money to any international non-governmental organization (NGO) that promotes abortion.
- He expanded the scope of the Mexico City policy to include all federal aid, not just funds for family planning.
- Jerusalem finally recognized as the capital of Israel.
Despite liberal and pro-Palestinian objection and backlash, President Trump kept his campaign promise to officially recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel, and to announce that the U.S. will move its Israeli embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem. This is in compliance with the Jerusalem Embassy Act of 1995. Presidents Clinton, Bush and Obama all signed waivers to postpone complying with the 1995 statute, citing national security risks as the excuse.
- President Trump promised to protect religious freedom and stop government agencies from attacking people of faith.
He appointed Governor Sam Brownback (R-KS) to be Ambassador-at-Large for religious freedom.
He signed an executive order called, “Promoting Free Speech and Religious Liberty” on last year’s National Day of Prayer. The executive order:
- Orders the IRS to use “maximum enforcement discretion” regarding the Johnson Amendment, which prohibits nonprofit organizations from engaging in political speech and activities
- Gives regulatory relief to companies that object to providing the Obamacare mandated contraception coverage in health care
- Going on the offense – and gaining – in the Culture War.
President Trump has not been afraid to take on the “political correctness police” nor the liberal Hollywood elite, nor the “Fake News Media.”
- He uses tweets and mass political rallies in major cities to communicate directly with the American people, bypassing the liberal spin of the biased news media.
- He issued an executive order that bans executive branch political appointees from becoming lobbyists for at least 5 years after they leave their posts.
- He encouraged Americans to say “Merry Christmas” last December … and to openly celebrate Easter and other Christian holidays.
- President Trump’s pro-growth economic policies are creating jobs, increasing wages and causing an economic boom.
- Overall economic growth reached 3.2% in the 3rd quarter of 2017 … and was 2.3% for all of 2017.
- Even with the recent market correction, the Dow Jones Industrial Average (DJIA) is still up dramatically since the 2016 election.
- The unemployment rate is at 4.1%, a 17-year low.
- African-American and Hispanic-American unemployment rates are the lowest ever recorded.
- Several large corporations have announced bonus payments to their employees resulting from the reduction in the corporate tax rate incorporated in the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA) of 2017.
- One little-known provision of the TCJA taxes corporate profits held overseas at a one-time rate of 8% to 15.5% … after which the cash can be brought back to the U.S. without further taxation. This is expected to bring back much of the $1.4 trillion in corporate cash held overseas … to be invested in new plants, equipment and jobs in the U.S.
- Deregulation is the #1 reason for the economic turnaround:
- An executive order was issued that requires two old government regulations to be eliminated for every new one implemented.
- Over 60 federal regulations have since been repealed, saving over $70 billion in costs and resulting in substantial growth in manufacturing jobs.
- Congressional Review Act resolutions were used to unravel 14 of Obama’s regulations enacted during the last 6 months of his administration.
- ISIS significantly and dramatically crushed.
President Trump has not hesitated to call ISIS what it is: radical Islamic terrorism. He has also lifted Obama’s draconian rules of engagement and has given full decision-making authority to our commanders and troops on the ground to engage the enemy as they see fit. As a result, Mosul and Raqqah in Iraq have been recaptured, along with nearly all of the territory in both Iraq and Syria previously held by ISIS.
- Getting tough on illegal immigration.
- President Trump signed three separate executive orders to crack down on drug cartels, MS-13 and other international criminal organizations.
- He has fought hard to protect Americans by seeking to increase vetting of Muslim refugees and prevent Islamic terrorists from entering the U.S.
- He ordered the hiring of 10,000 new Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) officers, including 5,000 Border Patrol agents, to restore the rule of law to immigration.
- Illegal border crossings and arrests at the Mexican border have dropped sharply.
- As promised, President Trump withdrew the U.S. from the Paris Climate Accord, which had been entered without the approval of Congress.
Continued participation could have cost the American economy $3 trillion, 6.5 million industrial sector jobs and 3.1 million manufacturing jobs.
- Putting America first in international treaties and trade agreements.
- President Trump negotiated over $300 billion in trade deals with Saudi Arabia when he visited the Middle East last year.
- China agreed to a $250 billion trade deal in the U.S.’s favor during Trump’s Asia diplomacy trip … He was the first president allowed into the Forbidden City.
- President Trump withdrew from the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) because it was a bad deal for the U.S.
- He is renegotiating the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA).
- After threatening to remove American protections from NATO countries that weren’t paying their pledged dues, those countries promised to pay their dues to NATO.
- Sparking an energy boom:
- President Trump sped up the permitting and approval process of Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) export terminals, including the Lake Charles LNG terminal in Louisiana.
- He increased U.S. oil exploration by approving the Keystone XL and Dakota Access pipelines … creating 42,000 jobs and $2 billion in earnings.
- He removed regulations on the outer continental shelf, allowing for more offshore oil and gas operation.
- Rebuilding the integrity and efficiency of the Department of Veterans Affairs:
- President Trump has called for an end to long waiting lists for medical care, and for lying about it on the part of VA officials.
- The VA has fired 500 employees, suspended 200 and demoted 33.
- Trump signed legislation that allows our veterans to seek medical care outside the VA system.
- Standing up to foreign aggression against the U.S.
- Currency manipulation by China.
- Saber-rattling by North Korea dictator Kim Jung-Un.
- Fighting back against a history of over-designating national lands.
President Trump and Secretary of the Interior Ryan Zinke are working to divest land from federal control … they are freeing up much of the West for private purchase.